Thursday, April 22, 2010

My little bit for Earth Day 2010;

While I was propping up my potted plants anew with chopsticks (re purposed as plant supports), I realized another use for the simple wooden sticks. I took two new ones, graded and sharpened a matched pair and I now have a pair of 8 1/2 inch, #9 knitting needles . I penciled the # 9 on the side of them so I'll not forget their size, I may double point them, or just do another four or five pieces double pointed, we'll see how these do first. If I leave them alone they'll need finials.

Most of my left over chopsticks, from the local Chinese take out restaurant, grade to a 9 or a 10 sized needle. BTW, for those of us with longer tresses, they make great hair sticks to, gotta love 'em.

2 comments:

  1. A pair of sharpened chopsticks were my grandson's first knitting needles. Great minds think alike.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D indeed. They knit so quietly, they feel so soft, I love them. Plus the work does not slide around in your hands. I went out today and bought three dowels in various thicknesses to recreate that feeling for DPNs. I have one pair sharpened and ready. The other two need to be sharpened by hand as they are really fat dowels and do not fit in the pencil sharpener. They may take a bit longer to finish.

    ReplyDelete